Paint My Bike Carbon Fibre Facts
- A bike is not a plane. Most aerospace type repairers want to over engineer a bike the result is the repair is thicker than the rest of the frame, everyone can tell it has been repaired. Resale destroyed.
- Making a repair thicker does not make it stronger in most cases it only creates a weak spot on either side of the repair and effects the compliance and ride characteristics the frame.
- Ultrasound cannot pick cracks, it can only find voids and delamination. From our experience it also cannot tell the difference between filler and a void. Almost every bike manufacturer uses filler between joins and over imperfections in the frame, these shows up as voids on Ultrasound, there MANY brand new frames will fail an ultrasound test, a bike is not a plane they are not made to the same standards.
- Our repairer’s backgrounds are Motorsport, Smash Repairs, Motorcycle repair and Aerospace, a very wide spectrum of many years’experience.
- Our repair philosophy is make it like it was. Look at how it was made and restore it to that. Same layup same, grade of carbon fibre wherever possible. We can almost always repair in clear carbon areas and match the original finish and weve.
- We make it so one can tell, even the manufacturer. Therefore maintaining warranty if they can’t find it they can’t void it!
- No one can offer this complete one stop total OEM type repair. We are so confident we offer 5 years warranty on all our carbon fibre repairs.
- We can match all paint finishes, decals and gloss levels.
Carbon fibre is a great material to work with, your frame has usually been made in several pieces and bonded together. There is absolutely no problem with repairing sections and even replacing sections. Many times when we start stripping down bikes we find areas that have been repaired before they left the factory.
We often get asked how much do you remove to repair this or do you just go over the top?
The picture below answerers that question. We remove all that is damaged whether that means 2 layers or the full damaged section. There is often unseen delamination, many times we find factory delamination is the cause of the issue in the first place. The first picture shows one we had to remove the top section of the tube, it was just bar slap, and the second picture is the pre-preg layup before it is sanded.
These pictures show one that had HT damage, this is the finished carbon repair close up. Not no filler was used, this is straight out of a mould we made for this bike.
Not only do we make moulds to do specific repairs we can vacuum bag your entire frame, we also make our own internal bladders and can have your bike under regulated vacuum and have a regulated pressurised custom bladder inside the frame whilst your frame is baked. We invest and innovate to ensure the best possible outcome for your frame.
Ask your repairer to show you their workshop and equipment. We are more than happy to give you a tour of ours.
Carbon Fibre Repairs
Almost any crack, split or even a broken frame can be repaired. When a repair is performed it is as good as the original frame. Below is a good example of what can be done. Check out the gallery to see what can be repaired.